What are Learning Skills?
Learning Skills are about:
- “Learning how to learn” and facilitating deep learning.
- Fostering academic success through improving student effectiveness and efficiency at learning, studying and completing course requirements.
Areas of focus include:
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Academic reading and note-taking skills.
- Helping students identify and connect with their own motivation.
- Helping students develop effective study strategies, and improve their high-level critical thinking skills.
What services do Learning Skills Services offer?
- Online and print resources.
- Individualized coaching with a Learning Skills Peer or Learning Skills Specialist to help students build the study strategies and learning skills that will work for them.
Is LSS only for students experiencing academic difficulty or those with special needs?
- No, LSS is for all York students, undergraduate and graduate, across all programs and all levels of academic success.
- Improving learning skills is a great way to stay on top of the work load and get the most out of your courses, thus preventing academic difficulties from occurring.
How do I access Learning Skills Services?
- For information about all LSS services and how to access them, browse our home page or click on "Services" on the top banner and follow the links
- For up-to-date news and reminders, follow us on Twitter: @mysuccessyorku.
- Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at (416) 736-5144
Do I have to pay a fee for Learning Skills Services?
- No, there are no additional fees for current York students to access any of our services.
What’s the difference between Learning Skills Services and tutoring?
- Learning Skills are broad (sometimes referred to as “meta-level”) skills that are needed for all academic learning, regardless of the discipline or area of study.
- LSS services are designed to help you develop strategies to enhance learning across the board, for all of your courses.
- Tutoring is different because it focuses on the specific content of an individual course. LSS does not provide tutoring.
Will the Learning Skills Services help me with specific assignments?
- No, not usually. Occasionally, however, a Learning Skills Peer or Specialist might work with you to help you “decode” the requirements for an assignment, as a first step in planning and organizing your workload.
Will a Learning Skills Specialist read my work and help me with my writing?
- LSS does not provide writing support services or tutoring (see above)
- There are several academic writing support services on campus – for example, the Writing Centre offers Drop-Ins, workshops, and other services.
How often can I see a Learning Skills Specialist?
- Although there’s no set course of appointments, the service is NOT intended to provide intensive, regular (e.g. weekly) coaching sessions.
- The purpose of LSS is to “help you help yourself” so in most cases we recommend no more than a few individual sessions a term, at most.
- Before seeing a Learning Skills Specialist individually, we recommend that you attend Learning Skills workshops and visit Drop-In first.
I'm a student with a disability. Can Learning Skills Services help me?
- For specific disability-related issues, Counselling & Disability Services (CDS) provides support for students with documented disabilities; therefore we recommend that students with disabilities register with CDS to access the full range of supports that might be available to you.
- Learning Skills Services welcomes all York students and our services are for everyone. As much as possible within our existing framework of services, we work in partnership with individual students to address their specific learning skills concerns.
I’m a graduate student. Do you offer anything for me?
- Yes, all LSS services are open to graduate students as well as undergraduates, and our topics are relevant to all levels of study.
- Graduate students may also sign up for one-on-one sessions with a Learning Skills Specialist who specializes in working with graduate students and will work with you to:
- help you plan your time and organize your work.
- prepare for comprehensive exams.
- stay on top of your thesis/ dissertation writing.
- Workshops specifically targeted to grad students are offered upon request.
- LSS would also be happy to work with graduate student groups to develop further programming specific to your needs